Friday, April 29, 2011

Race Two

I’d finished in 11th place so I had passed 15 riders over 12 laps, I was pleased with that and the top 3 were lapping quicker than my fastest lap.  So the chances are I would have gone backwards and that really would have pissed me off.  The Titty Twister was packed and the talk was all about what could have been in the race if only........... .
The place was so busy there were no steaks left, Jnr was not happy but made do with calamari and two baskets of bread with a really nice red dip.  Stephan laid out the basics and it seemed fairly straight forward.  Both bikes used the same transponder, so it had to be changed over when we came in.  That was the job for the boys, Stephan was going to start and do the first half hour.  The start was a Lemans style start with the bikes on the other side of the track with their engines running and facing the pit wall and the riders with their backs against the pit wall.  The grid was decided by the fastest rider in the team, our change over on the half hour would be indicated by Chris or Cameron holding the fuel funnel over the pit wall and that would be your last lap.  It all seemed straight forward enough.  The Titty Twister emptied quickly and no one really hung one on, Janette and Ouly did a good job on the Valentines and bought a bottle for Ron (lateron). 
Peter never showed up so I assumed he was working late and changing tyres ready for tomorrow.  By the time we arrived at the B & B Peter was there and more than willing to help Janette and Ouly with the Whiskey.
The following day was wet and I wasn’t keen on going out.  To put it bluntly I’m pathetic in the wet and I constantly feel like I’m out of control.  Luckily for me the sun came out and the track started to dry out, it was decided by the race organisers to delay the start by an hour.  As the grid formed up the track was still damp, I was so glad Stephan was starting.  The green flag fell and the track was full of men and women trying to run in leathers.  It’s a very strange sight, most people can’t walk, let alone run and running fast was just out of the question.
Stephan made a really good start and was flying round, it was drying out fast and as it did so the lap times were coming down.  I told Jnr to get ready with the funnel and Chris reminded me that he had another 10 minutes to go.  All of a sudden half an hour was a long time and 24-26 laps was more than I thought.  The funnel was out and Stephan acknowledged he had seen it, he came flying in and the boys changed the transponder over to me, it was very quick and I was away.  I didn’t have time to think and the track was dry.  I hadn’t done half a lap and I had been passed, he must have been nearing the end of his time and on hot tyres.  I followed him round and sure enough he pulled into the pit lane, I was feeling better and my nerves had calmed down.  I couldn’t remember what lap I was on but I wanted to see the funnel.  I thought this lap, this lap.  Had I missed it ?  I was starting to flap.
How hard could it be to see an orange funnel, I couldn’t make out the boys, Janette, nothing.  I didn’t want to come in, in case I was early, we would have been penalised for one rider doing more than the other and likewise if I stayed out longer than I should.  I had to concentrate on what I was doing, I had 4 bikes in front of me and my goal was to pick them off one by one.  I was starting to hurt.  I came out of the last bend level with the 2nd bike, the funnel, I saw it with both my boys jumping up and down and waving their arms franticly, I battled with the same bike all the way round until I pulled into the pit lane.  No sooner had I stopped and Stephan was away.  The first question I asked was had I missed the funnel ?  I was relieved to discover I hadn’t and we were doing well.  30 minutes flat out knowing every place counted was hard work and to sustain the same pace for each lap and if possible improve each time was even harder. 
It was great to get off the bike and remove my helmet, my bandana was soaked with sweat as was my T-shirt.  My pit crew were fantastic, the bike was up on her paddock stands and the tyre warmers were going on.  A rag was thrown over the tank and fuel was going in, I was passed a bottle of water and a banana from Janette.  Jnr cleaned my visor as I stretched my legs, Chris was taking the tyre warmers off.  That’s never half an hour, my god.
I had just about got my gloves back on when Stephan pulled up alongside me with his back wheel lofted into the air.   It came down with a right clatter, Chris slapped me on the back and I dropped the clutch.  I think I pulled a wheelie the full length of the pit lane, I joined the track and right into a mêlée of about 8 bikes.  I was just hoping that most of them were about to pull in, as we reached the entrance to the pit lane only 1 bike peeled off.  It was going to be a battle to get past this lot, they were all quick and just as quick as me in my favourite parts of the track.  I was just going to have to push that bit harder and pray I didn’t over cook it.
I was hounding the bike in front of me and letting him know I was there when he missed a gear and I just about avoided running into him, one down six more to go.  As we came down the start finish straight I stayed close to the pit wall in an attempt to get the apex for corner one and out brake the bike in front of me.  I cut his nose off and entered the corner far too fast, I just about stayed on track and flicked her into corner two.  As we came out of the corner the two bikes in front of me went wide, I wasn’t sure if they had touched or what but I was passed them.  I could hear the pair of them all over my arse.  Now I knew what pressure felt like, one mistake and I’d lose places or end up in the gravel trap.
The Blade passed me coming out of turn 7 and we battled round the track changing places at turn 1 and turn 7.  My problem was he would pass me at 7 and beat me to the line.  Once again I had no idea what lap I was on but this time I was racing to the flag. I came out of the last bend and the chequered flag was waving.  The Blade had beaten me to the flag, it had been a hell of race, every corner, and every straight had to be perfect.  I was down on power but I had managed to hold my own through late braking and getting the power on early.
Stephan was waiting for me as I entered the pit lane, as I got off the bike he gave me a manly huge and said we had come 12th.  Not bad for a field of 32 teams and my first 2 hour race.  It had been a really good experience and one I’d love to experience again.  We packed up the paddock and loaded the bikes onto trailers and into vans.  Some of the lads set of straight away and the rest of us went to the Titty Twister for a well earned beer and some food.
Our next race meet was going to be at Zolder, a great race track that we had been to before.  I liked Zolder, it has one the fastest bends I’ve ever been round.  5th gear flat out with my boot and knee on the floor all the way round and onto the back straight were you can get into 6th before the chicane.  It also had a great blind ridge that lofted the front wheel all the way down to the next chicane.  But first the long journey home and the rebuild of my now warn out starter clutch.

No comments:

Post a Comment