Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Red Flags

My tyres were going off fast, it was a fast technical track and very hard on your tyres.  I’d already lost the back end coming off the start finish line.  I lost a place as I lost grip and went wide coming out of the corner, because I’d lost drive there was no way I was going to catch the Blade before the next corner.  The next corner was a long fast left, a man’s corner, fast balls out speed, just my kind of corner.  I couldn’t get my bike any lower.  My left foot and knee were firmly on the track and the sparks were flying as I took the blade on the outside.  I just couldn’t hold the line for the next left and the Blade was away again.  We battle like that for the next 5 laps until I lost total confidence in my tyres.  It was time to pull in for fuel, tyres and a well deserved rest.
As I pulled in my boys were ready with the paddock stands and the tyre warmers.  Not this time as I needed new tyres.  The boys got the tools ready and I went down to check on the lap times.  My dice with the blade had held me up, Peter was well in front of me but I was still ahead of the rest in the pack.  I had two hours of track time left to get some good times in for tomorrow’s race.  Callipers off, wheels off and new tyres on.  I had to take the next few laps steady to scrub them in and to get the temperature into them. 
I joined the track and there was nothing behind me and as far as I could tell the track was clear to my front.  By the start of lap 3 I was at full speed, I could see a bike in the distance, just the way I liked it.  Something to chase but not get in my way, I was pushing hard but as I got faster with each each lap I was finding it difficult between corners 5 & 6.  The short run between them was enough to red line my engine in 4th but not long enough to get into 5th gear.  The last thing I wanted to do was blow my engine and I didn’t want to slow down. 
The bike in front of me was a Ducati, I had caught him but I couldn’t get past him.  He was very good into the corners and braked very late.  I just didn’t have the bottom end to get away from him out of the corner.  It was going to come down to who could out brake who.  We were neck and neck as we thundered down the finish straight, I could feel my back tyre lifting as I tipped into the corner.  We were still fighting for space on the track, it was fantastic.  The Ducati had the inside line for the next corner, I had no choice and I backed off very slightly but it gave me the drive I needed to come out of the corner.  Once again we were fighting for the same piece of track but this time I had the racing line.  I out braked him into the corner and my knee skimmed the track as I eased the power on. 
It was my favourite two corners 5 & 6.  I buggered it up big time as I attempted to change up then down again for the corner.  He was away and the chase was on again.  I was all over him at every bend and as we entered the last bend he indicated to move into the pit lane.  Had I pressurised him into pulling in or was it just that time.  I didn’t know and I didn’t care.  3 laps later and the red flags were out, I coasted round with a smile as wide as my helmet.  I couldn’t wait to see what my standings were going to be.  I pulled into the pit lane and into the paddock.  My boys were waiting and on went the paddock stands and the tyre warmers.
One of the track officials walked in with the results, bike number 47 had qualified in 3rd place.  My God that was me, the best I had ever done.  I had another Aprilia and my mate the Ducati in front of me.  I was the only one in our group on a twin so I wouldn’t be racing against them, this was going to be my first official race with a grid start.
That evening we all went down to a local bar and steak house.  It looked like the Titty Twister out of the film Dusk Till Dawn.  The food was fantastic and the bread was the best I have ever tasted.  The beer was too nice and I didn’t want to kick the arse out of it.  Peter, Janette and the lads were on the local Whiskey Valentines.  There’s a good chance I could win this tomorrow, keep going Janette, you’re doing great.
End of Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment