Friday, June 24, 2011

The End


It was decision time, but first some good news.  The insurance company have paid out along with my Gap insurance.  So not all has been lost,  it’s always been the case with extra’s on a bike, you have to declare your upgrades and in some cases the insurance goes up but you never get back the money you have spent on the many go faster or just good looking parts you fit.

I contacted the MCN lawyer and told him of my incident and I was referred to a lawyer in Scotland because the law is different across the border.  After plenty of reports and digging by them it was decided that my case could not be taken on, not on a no win no fee basis anyway.  If I wanted to pursue the case I could but I would be paying the legal fees and I have 3 years in which to act and start proceedings.

I’m not going to bother, if a firm of lawyers aren’t prepared to take the case then what chance do I have.  As my lawyer pointed out, the manhole cover wasn’t broken, raised or sunk and as far as they could tell was in good order.  Apart from being as smooth and shinny as a babies arse, that’s just fine.  Proving I lost grip on the cover and presenting evidence that it did cause my high side against the council is another matter.  I knew from the outset that it was going to be an uphill struggle and might lead nowhere.  So it’s just going to be another one chalked up against the bad road conditions that we pay a fortune to us.  If there was no such thing as road tax I could understand why the roads of Great Britain are in such disrepair.  It’s just highway robbery.  But to the MCN lawyer team, thank you very much for all your hard work on my behalf.

So my next decision is.............do I get another bike ?  Well the answer to that is no.  I’ve thought hard and long about it and I think its one crash too many.  It’s not about the money, I’ve always done my bikes up to the speck I want them so they are a statement of who I am and what I want from my machine.  I just can’t ride a bike slowly, no matter how much I try, I get board at 60 and 70 on the motorway is just a waste of a good road.  Every bend deserves your respect and the best way to show it is by getting down on one knee. 

So I’m putting my helmet on the shelf (damaged) alongside my battle worn leathers.  Maybe one day when I’ve finished my current job I might dust them off and get a track bike.  I still plan on doing my Sicily trip but this time in a VW T4.  Instead of ripping up the road with Janette on the back screaming and complaining of a sore arse, she can sit beside me with a cup of tea (code for whiskey and coke, diet no ice) and a smile.  It can even piss it down and get very cold.  My God I’m getting old.

So for the time being my two wheel days are over, besides I’m not putting a florescent bib on to go through France.  It want be long before our spineless government bend to the whims of Europe and all bikers will have to wear bibs, no dark visors and no unauthorised mods to your pride and joy.  Go 1 mph over the speed limit and your history.  That’s of course if you can get up any speed on our well maintained roads. 

To all that do ride, good luck and stay safe, remember, keep it rubber side down.

"All men die, not all men really live"
Ed.



1 comment: