Thursday, June 30, 2011

Speed !!

            
I’ve been looking on the net for what I would consider a bike that would suit my needs, like I said in my last Blog, I need a complete change of style.  I just can’t make my mind up, I’ve even looked at going for a dirt bike.  A road legal one so I can get from A to B and enjoy myself and when I feel the mood for going a bit daft I can go and do a bit of dirt riding. 
I was looking at a Super Moto or an old Maco 390, something with a bit of attitude, but then I was looking at a Suzuki GSX 1400.  Then coach showed me the Yamaha MT 01, what a beast that is, just like the V Max but a better riding position.  They have the old muscle bike looks and pedigree that I like.  I didn’t realise just how hard it was going to be.
I was talking to coach about my dilemma and he rightly pointed out that it’s no good changing my bike until I take notice of what’s going on in my head.  As per usual I didn’t have a clue what he was talking about.  I think he knows me better than I do.  He asked me to sit down and right down all my RTA’s (Road Traffic Accident) and put alongside them what caused them and a brief description of the incident.
So I did, I wish I hadn’t now, I don’t think I’m a bad rider, in fact I know I’m not.  I’ve always believed that you’re not learning if you’re not pushing the boundaries.  I think when I started riding and the lads I rode with, we all believed the same.  The bikes we rode at the time, in my opinion were the best on the market and aimed at lads just like us.  All my mates had RD 250’s and the odd  X7, one unlucky lad had a Super Dream and we all changed our bikes at the same time.  Normally with each other and most of us ended up on the RD 350 YPVS.  The best bike in the world and I wish I still had mine but I moved on to bigger and faster bikes.  The point I’m trying to make is we all rode hard and fast all the time. 
I’ve lost touch with the lads over the years but it would be interesting to see if they still ride today and if they still give it their all.   I don’t know any other way to ride, it’s what I enjoy.  But looking at my chart below, I need to do something.

                Psychiatric Study,
           Road To Rehabilitation.
<><> <><>

DATE
WEATHER
FAULT
CAUSE
INCIDENT
DISCRIPTION
INJURY
 MAY 2011
Damp
Mine
Speed
Manhole cover
Overtook a BMW at speed lost backend on a manhole cover.
Broken left collar bone
APRIL 2001
Dry
Mine
Speed
Chicane
Racing an SP1 last look at speed 140mph to fast for road
Broken back
May 2000
Dry
3rd Party

Hit from Behind
Stopped at traffic lights hit from behind H&R
Nil
June 1991
Wet
Road Conditions
Roundabout
Lost front end in pot hole
Nil
July 1989
Dry
Mine
Speed
Tree
Lost the front end into a corner slid down the road and into a tree
Broken ribs
Aug 1985
Dry
Mine
Showing Off
Wheelie into back car
Cyprus Tour, pulling wheelies on the strip, car in front stopped I didn’t, put my front wheel through his back screen
Minor
July 1984
Dry
Mine
Speed
Roundabout
Practising getting my Knee down, lost the front end
Nil
Aug 1984
Dry
3rd Party

Car, no signal
Car turned right as I passed, I hit a bus stop
Right ankle
1983
Dry
Mine
Speed
T Jct
Bedale Ind Est
Racing to the T Jct. I ran out of road to stop
Minor
1983
Dry
Mine
Speed
Catterick Bridge
Racing to Richmond, I hit the bridge at Catterick Race Course
Minor
1983
Dry
3rd Party
Bad luck
Oncoming car
Car hit me, he was on the wrong side of the road
Minor

I past my motor bike test in 1982 on an RD 250 ER with a coffin tank in Yamaha blue.  It was a fantastic bike with a racing seat and straight through racing pies.  You didn’t get lessons in those days and it was the cheapest form of transport.  You learnt from your mistakes, I had no idea what a power band was until it through me into the ditch on my first fast bend.  That was the norm for all of us at the time. 
Between 81-83 I had loads of off’s but only minor crashes, inexperience, youth, learning.  J  Call it what you will, I loved every minute of it and I still do.
I have to admit it doesn’t make for pleasant reading, I need to change something and I don’t think changing my bike is the only change.  The common denominator in 6/11 accidents I have been involved in have been speed.  Coach says I shouldn’t be allowed back on the road, I think he was a bit shocked L  He says I need to learn a trigger word that will make me see sense and behave on the public road.  He said more than that but I can’t put it in print, I’d be banned from Blogger.com
Let’s see how it goes.  I can’t believe I’m a Psychiatric patient !!
"All men die, not all men really live"
Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment